Everything you need to know about Hand Sanitising
Are PURELL® Hand Sanitiser products effective against the flu?
Enveloped viruses in general are easily killed or inactivated by alcohol. The World Health Organization (WHO) are recommending the use of alcohol-based hand Sanitiser as a preventive measure for flu prevention.
Is PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitiser Effective Against Ebola?
Ebola viruses are high risk pathogens that must be contained and are not readily available for laboratory testing. As of today, we are not aware of any hand Sanitisers that have been tested against Ebola viruses, including PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitiser. However, it is important to note that the Ebola virus is an enveloped virus. Enveloped viruses in general are easily killed or inactivated by alcohol. World Health Organization (WHO) are recommending the use of alcohol-based hand Sanitiser as a preventive measure during this outbreak.
Can I Use PURELL® Hand Sanitiser Safely Multiple Times a Day?
Yes. Numerous studies support the safety of long-term, repeated use of PURELL® Hand Sanitisers. It is critical to practice good hand hygiene at key moments, such as before eating, after using the restroom and after touching objects that are frequently touched by others.1
1 Scientific Studies
Do All Hand Sanitisers Work the Same?
No. When it comes to hand sanitizing products, formulation matters. The active ingredient is important but the total formulation affects the product’s effectiveness. The product also has to deliver good skin care performance and be likeable to use.
Does PURELL® Hand Sanitiser Contain Triclosan?
No. PURELL® Hand Sanitiser does not contain triclosan. The active ingredient in PURELL® Hand Sanitiser is ethyl alcohol.
Does PURELL® Hand Sanitiser Kill the Resident Germs and Transient Germs on Your Hands?
Germs live all around us. Our bodies are covered with germs that help us stay healthy. These are considered "resident or potentially harmless" bacteria and, they reside on and in the body. In addition to the resident bacteria, we are also exposed to ones that we pick up from contact with other people or objects. These are called transient bacteria. It is these germs that are often responsible for making you sick. PURELL® Hand Sanitiser reduces some of your resident bacteria while eliminating the transient bacteria on the top layer of your hands. Your body quickly regenerates your resident bacteria.
Does PURELL® Hand Sanitiser Really Kill 99.99% of Illness-Causing Germs?
Yes. PURELL® Hand Sanitiser products are tested against a broad spectrum of micro-organisms and have resulted in more than 99.99% reduction of those organisms.
Does Using PURELL® Hand Sanitiser Lead to Resistant Bacteria?
No, this is a misconception. Using PURELL® Hand Sanitiser does not contribute to the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria, as the overuse of antibiotics does. Ethyl alcohol, the active ingredient in PURELL® Hand Sanitiser rapidly destroys the cell membranes and dissolves cell proteins. It evaporates quickly leaving nothing behind to let germs become resistant. According to the CDC Clean Hands Count Campaign, using alcohol-based hand Sanitisers does NOT cause antibiotic resistance. Healthy habits like good hand hygiene help reduce the spread of illness-causing germs. Staying healthy reduces the need to use prescription antibiotics; so ultimately, alcohol-based hand Sanitisers play an important role in reducing antibiotic resistance.
Do PURELL® Hand Sanitisers Cause Supergerms?
No. Alcohol-based hand Sanitisers kill germs in a different way than antibiotics, and they are not left behind to let the germs either become resistant or become what some people call “supergerms.” According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there is no chance for the germs to adapt or develop resistance to an alcohol-based hand Sanitiser, even with frequent use.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings. Retrieved June 2, 2016
How is PURELL® Hand Sanitiser Used?
As with all over-the-counter products, it is important to use PURELL® Hand Sanitiser products properly and according to the instructions on the label: wet hands thoroughly with product, and briskly rub hands together until dry. Adults should always supervise children in the use of the product. It is important to use PURELL® Hand Sanitiser at key moments throughout the day such as before eating, after caring for someone that is ill, after using the restroom and after touching objects touched by many different hands, for example, the grocery cart handle, the subway pole and elevator buttons.
How Many Times Can PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitiser be Used Before Washing Hands?
PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitiser can be used whenever hands are not visibly soiled. It can be used repeatedly, and there is no need to wash your hands between uses unless they become visibly soiled. Additionally, there is no harmful residue left on hands after use.
Is it Safe and Effective to Use PURELL® Hand Sanitiser?
1. Study: Effect of hand Sanitiser use on elementary school absenteeism.
Results: The overall reduction in absenteeism due to infection in the schools included in this study was 19.8% for schools that used an alcohol gel hand Sanitiser compared with the control schools.1
2. Study: The effect of a comprehensive handwashing program on absenteeism in elementary schools.
Results: Two hundred ninety students from five independent schools were enrolled in the study. Each test classroom had a control classroom, and only the test classroom received the intervention (education program and hand Sanitiser). Absenteeism data was collected for 3 months. The number of absences was 50.6% lower in the test group.2
3. Study: The effect of hand hygiene on illness rate among students in university residence halls.
Results: The overall increase in hand-hygiene behavior and reduction in symptoms, illness rates, and absenteeism between the product group and control group was statistically significant. Reductions in upper respiratory-illness symptoms ranged from 14.8% to 39.9%. Total improvement in illness rate was 20%. The product group had 43% less missed school/work days.3
4. Study: Alcohol-based Instant hand Sanitiser use in military settings - a prospective cohort study of army basic trainees.
When compared to the control group, intervention groups experienced 40% less respiratory illness (p < 0.001), 48% less gastrointestinal illness (p < 0.02), 44% less lost training time (p < 0.001), and 31% fewer health care encounters (p < 0.001).4
5. Study: Impact of a Comprehensive Workplace Hand Hygiene Program on Employer Healthcare Insurance Claims and Costs, Absenteeism and Employee Perceptions and Practices
Results: Hygiene-preventable health care claims were significantly reduced in the intervention group by over 20% (P<0.05). Absenteeism was positively impacted overall for the intervention group. Employee survey data showed significant improvements in hand hygiene behavior and perception of company concern for employee well-being.5
- 1 Hammond, B, Ali, Y., Fendler, E., Dolan, M. Donvoan, S. Effect of hand Sanitiser on elementary school absenteeism. http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(00)84010-9/abstract
- 2 Guinan, M., McGukin, M., Ali, Y., The effect of a comprehensive handwashing program on absenteeism in elementary schools. http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(02)68131-3/abstract
- 3 White, C., Koble, R., Carlson, R., Lipson, N., Dolan, M., Ali, Y., Cline, M., The effect of hand hygiene on illness among students in university residence halls. http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553%2803%2900041-5/abstract
- 4 Mott, Maj. Peter, Sisk, Maj. Brian, Arbogast, J., Ferrazzano-Yaussy, C., Bondi, C., Sheehan, LTC J. Alcohol-based instant hand Sanitiser use in military settings: a prospective cohort study of Army basic trainees. http://publications.amsus.org/doi/10.7205/MILMED.172.11.1170
- 5 Arbogast, J., Moore-Schitz, L., Jarvis, W., Harpster-Hagan, A., Hughes, J., Parker, A., Impact of a Comprehensive Workplace Hand Hygiene Program on Employer Health Care Insurance Claims and Costs, Absenteeism, and Employee Perceptions and Practices. http://journals.lww.com/joem/Fulltext/2016/06000/Impact_of_a_Comprehensive_Workplace_Hand_Hygiene.25.aspx